Tuesday, July 6, 2021

African Folktales at Internet Archive: Tololwa Mollel

Following up on the Spider and Tortoise posts that started this week, I want to feature a children's book author today who has written both Spider and Tortoise books, and more besides: Tololwa Mollel. You can find out more about Mollel at his lovely website: TololwaMollel.com. The Internet Archive has quite a few of his books available for borrowing; here are the Spider and Tortoise books I wanted to feature today:








Those three books are inspired by stories from western Africa (Ghana, Nigeria, and Cameroon), and Mollel (who was born in Tanzania) has published books inspired by stories from other parts of Africa too, like the Maasai story here (Mollel is himself an Arusha Maasai):



Just speaking for myself, I am an eager reader of children's books, although I am less likely to buy them to keep on my bookshelves. Being able to read them here at Internet Archive is such a pleasure. Plus, this allows me to find out which ones I like best in order to buy the for grandchildren. Of these four books, my favorite for the story is the Ananse book, but for the artwork I prefer the books by Barbara Spurrl, and of the two Spurrl books here, the Flying Tortoise is my favorite.

So, if Tololwa Mollel is new to you, jump in and enjoy! These are just a few of his books that are available for checkout at the Internet Archive; you can explore and see which ones are your favorites.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.