Friday, July 9, 2021

African Folktales at Internet Archive: Zomo the Rabbit

I've focused on stories about trickster Tortoise and trickster Spider in western Africa this week (see all this week's posts on one page)... but the trickster Rabbit / Hare is part of west African storytelling too, so I'll end this week with a book of rabbit stories: Zomo, the Rabbit by Hugh Sturton, which is just a click away at Internet Archive.


As you can see, Zomo the Rabbit is on the run from the other animals who are all fed up with his tricks and pranks. Here's how the cover looks wrapped around the book (photo of my copy at home):


These are Hausa stories that Hugh Sturton collected during the years that he lived and worked in Nigeria; you can read more about the Hausa people at Wikipedia

I'll also add another Zomo book here, this one by Gerald McDermott (who wrote other trickster books too like about Anansi and Coyote): Zomo the Rabbt: A Trickster Tale from West Africa.


I originally became interested in African folktales when I started working on Brer Rabbit stories back in 2019, so finding rabbit stories from west Africa like this is very exciting for me. The majority of Brer Rabbit / Compere Lapin / Tio Conejo stories told in the Americas and the Caribbean come from Africa, and the more I learn about African folktales, the more I appreciate the African American stories — and, yes, I'll be doing a guided tour of African American story traditions at Internet Archive after I finish this tour of African story resources, but that will be many months from now: there are still so many beautiful African books yet to share.

Just as an example of African / American connection, here's an incident from the McDermott book about Zomo the Rabbit: in order to win wisdom from the Sky God, Rabbit must carry out some difficult tasks, and for one of those tasks he must catch the Wild Cow. He manages to get the Cow's horns stuck in a tree:


Well, Brer Rabbit also tricks a cow into getting stuck in a tree too; here's an illustration for Joel Chandler Harris's story of how Miss Cow Falls a Victim to Mr. Rabbit. Here you can see the cow stuck in the tree while Brer Rabbit and his family are toting the milk home:


The version of the story that Harris collected had become disconnected from the larger story of the Sky God's wisdom, but it is still connected by an unbreakable thread to the African storytelling traditions of west Africa; I'll have lots more to say about Brer Rabbit later on! 

So, for your reading pleasure, here is the trickster rabbit of western Africa: enjoy!

by Hugh Sturton

by Gerald McDermott



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.