Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Africa at the Internet Archive: 3 New Public Domain Resources

As part of working on public domain texts this month (for NaNoWriMo!), I was cleaning up the PDFs on my computer of public domain books, and I decided to see if I could fill any gaps at Internet Archive. I did indeed find some good books to upload! Previously these books had only been available at Hathi Trust or other online book projects, but now they are part of the Internet Archive collection too! Here are a few of the books that I uploaded, starting with a collection of Mwanga stories from Malawi:

by Emmeline H. Dewar


As you can see there, it has the Chinamwanga text facing the English translation, and a wonderful feature of this book is that some of the stories also include songs, with the music:


Another book I uploaded was the 1885 edition of the Magana Hausa collection of Hausa folktales from Nigeria; this edition contains an English translation (previously the only version at the Internet Archive was Hausa only).


So, this is now a valuable addition to the other Hausa folktale resources available at the Internet Archive; more about that here: Hausa Folktales.

The third item I want to share is a collection of Bantu folktales:

by C. J. Bender


You might remember Bender from a booklet I had uploaded earlier to the Archive: Proverbs of West Africa: Wit and Wisdom of the Bantu Tribes.

So, those are three public domain resources newly available at the Internet Archive, and I'll be back tomorrow with some more public domain goodness to share. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.