Friday, December 10, 2021

Africa at the Internet Archive: Spreadsheet (4)

As promised, here is this Friday's update about the spreadsheet listing African folktales with links to their Internet Active pages (previous updates): there are now 6393 stories listed from 224 different books and articles! You can access the spreadsheet here: African Tales Spreadsheet. I've also added a link to the horizontal navigation bar across the top of this blog so that you can access these Spreadsheet posts easily.


Each week I try to make some kind of improvement to the sheet in addition to the new items, and something new this week is that I'm now including links to my longer versions of stories, in addition to the 100-word versions. So if you look in the far-right column, you'll see the links to my 100-word story blog which are in yellow, along with a few links to my OER story blog; those longer stories are a darker gold color, while the 100-word stories are a lighter yellow. 


So far, there are just a few of the longer stories, but I'm writing one new story every day which means, slowly but surely, they will accumulate. After all, this whole project started from just one book recommendation back in May. I am a big believer in projects that start small and then grow and grow. :-)

As I've explained in earlier posts, you can use all the regular Google Sheets features here, sorting, searching, and filtering. For example, I created a filter view of "hyenas" for my friend Hector who studies hyena folklore, and there are over 200 stories with hyena in the title! Of course, there are more hyenas in there too, but even just being able to filter for the hyenas in the titles is a great start. That is already a LOT of hyenas!


Over time I hope to add more information that will assist people in sorting and searching, but for now the main goal is just this: linking to the story pages at the Internet Archive, all of which are just a click away thanks to Controlled Digital Lending.

If you are a teacher reading this, maybe there is a spreadsheet you can create for your students too, linking to useful materials at the Internet Archive: you can link to books or you can link directly to specific pages in those books, helping your students get exactly to where they need to go to find the stories or artwork or information you want to share with them. Yay links! Yay Internet Archive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.