Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Transcribing Tales

Today is my first real day of new retirement life! (I finished teaching on Friday, and then on Monday I finished publishing the student microfiction book from Spring semester). Now it is Tuesday... and I'm pondering how to pick up all the loose threads I've got and start knitting them together. 

One of the things I want to be able to do is to transcribe stories from public domain sources. Some of these stories may have already been republished in some collections (like the Greenwood books, Scheub), some may have already been retold in other books (lots of storytellers have drawn on these old sources)... but some may not have surfaced in any other format since their original publication! My goal is to make useful, reliable, free anthologies of these materials, unlike the for-profit auto-reproductions that so many of the public-domain-reprinters have put out there for sale. For now, I'm going to focus on transcribing just one story from each promising source, and then I'll circle back around later to transcribe more stories.

In addition, I'll be taking notes on stories that come from non-public-domain sources, so that means there will be a mix of transcriptions and summaries in the feed below, which comes from Diigo via Inoreader. If you click, it will take you to the Google Document for that story:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.