Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Chained Tweets: an alternate to threaded tweets

I am really excited about chance to meet up with some people from Internet Archive this Friday, so I'm preparing some notes to explain how the amazing resources at the Archive is powering my projects these days.

The main thing, of course, is the book-sharing that I am doing here at this blog. I post about a book every day of the week, starting on Sunday and ending on Friday with a round-up each Saturday. I've been doing that for 18 weeks now, starting right after I retired from my job on May 15. Here's the first post: Stories Gogo Told Me.

Every day I tweet about the book of the day, and I do that tweet as a "quote tweet" from the day before. That means you can follow the tweet-trail all the way down by clicking on the quoted tweet that is inside each individual tweet.

I like this system better than a Twitter thread because the image from the quoted tweet appears with a thumbnail image inside the quoting tweet. I think images are a big enticement for people to click on something, and this way every tweet has two images: the image from the new tweet, plus the teaser thumbnail image in the quoted tweet.

To see how that works, you can follow the tweets all the way back from today's tweet to the very first week's round-up; here's today's tweet: Inkishu: Myths and Legends of the Maasai.

And just for fun, I made an animated gif that shows how you can go back back back through the latest tweets of the week book by book and then back through all the round-up tweets week by week, all the way back to the beginning. :-)

animated gif of book cover tweets



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.