Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Africa at the Internet Archive: Phyllis Savory

Since I started off this week with two prolific storytellers (Verna Aardema and Ashley Bryan), I thought I would carry on with another familiar author from this blog: Phyllis Savory, and this anthology of stories from her other books, The Best of African Folklore, just a click away at Internet Archive


The book contains 39 stories selected from Phyllis Savory's long list of African folktale collections. There is not a bibliography that matches up the individual stories with the previous books, but there is a note at the start of each story indicating the cultural tradition from which the story comes. 

The lovely illustrations are by Gina Daniel:



Phyllis Savory has published a wide-ranging series of African folktale books, focusing mostly on southern Africa, but including other African traditions as well, especially central and eastern Africa. Here are other Phyllis Savory books that you can find at Internet Archive:












I think those are all the Phyllis Savory books at Internet Archive so far... but they are adding new books every day, so maybe some more books by Phyllis Savory will arrive. I'll be sure to post them if they do! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.