Thursday, December 16, 2021

Africa at the Internet Archive: Ananse the Spider

Since I've been writing about Ananse stories this week (see Tuesday and Wednesday), I wanted to write about this extraordinary children's book which is like nothing I have ever seen before featuring an Ananse story from the Ashanti tradition of west Africa: Ananse the Spider: Why Spiders Stay on the Ceiling.


The illustrations are by Kathy Kifer, Dahne Solar and Charla Barnard, and the whole project seems to be the brainchild of Stanley Collins who holds the book's copyright, and who is also the author of other educational books and also sign-language books.


There are apparently four books in this series, and Internet Archive has one of the other books: Fountain of Youth, a Korean folktale.


There are two more books in the series that are not at Internet Archive (yet): Coyote and Bobcat and also Raven and Water Monster


I snagged used copies of those books for myself; they are available at many used booksellers online for under $5, so if you are interested in acquiring sign-language books like this, you can do that! I find the whole project fascinating, and I am really glad Ananse was part of the project too.

by Stan Collins




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.