Thursday, June 23, 2022

African Diaspora at Internet Archive: Angela Shelf Medearis

I wrote about Angela Shelf Medearis in yesterday's post, so I wanted to follow up with some more of her books today! The first is a a storybook based on a 19th-century cowboy song: The Zebra-Riding Cowboy: A Folk Song From the Old West.


The illustrations are by María Cristina Brusca, and as Medearis explains in her author's note: "Many books, movies, and television programs fail to include Mexican and African-American cowboys when they portray life in the Old West. María Cristina Brusca and I have attempted to correct this oversight in this book. 


The second book I want to feature is a ghost story: The Ghost of Sifty-Sifty Sam.


The illustrations are by Jacqueline Rogers:


And finally, I wanted to share this book which is not based on African American storytelling traditions, but which is instead a retelling of a traditional African folktale from Ghana: Too Much Talk.


The illustrations are by Stefano Vitale:


So, three wonderful books to enjoy, and each one is just a click away at the Internet Archive!


by Angela Shelf Medearis



by Angela Shelf Medearis



by Angela Shelf Medearis




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.