Sunday, January 9, 2022

Africa at the Internet Archive: African Tales (Barefoot Collection)

The Internet Archive keeps adding new books all the time, and I check periodically on books I hope to see there, just to see if something has turned up... and I was so happy to find this one, a favorite author writing for a favorite book series: African Tales: A Barefoot Collection by Gcina Mhlophe.


The book features eight stories, beautifully illustrated by Rachel Griffin in the distinctive style of Barefoot books:


Even better, there is cultural context for each story; for example, this is the two-page spread about Malawi that comes before the story of the magic horns:


Your might remember South African storyteller Gcina Mhlophe from another book I've featured here at the blog; see that earlier blog post for more about her and her book Stories of Africa. (I also embedded a video in that blog post!)


And I am pleased to say you can find lots more Barefoot books (yes, you can search by publisher as a field), all just a click away at the Internet Archive... and if you see something you like, maybe buy one for a young person in your life! I am such a fan of these books. Here are just a few titles:




Tropical Tales (by Ramouf Mama!)





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.