Sunday, June 5, 2022

African Diaspora at Internet Archive: More Anansi

I had so much fun with the children's books last week that I decided to carry on for another week! I'm starting with two Anansi books. The first is a bilingual book in Spanish and English: Brother Anansi and the Cattle Ranch by James De Sauza, adapted by Harriet Rohmer. The Spanish title is El Hermano Anansi y el Rancho de Ganado.


Harriet Rohmer heard the story from James de Sauza, a carpenter in Nicaragua, who told the story to her in Creole.

The English and Spanish versions appear side by side:


The illustrations are by Stephen van Mason, who has chosen to portray the folkloric "Tiger" as a jaguar:


The other book is by Anne Adeney: Anansi the Banana Thief: An African-Caribbean Tale.


I recognized this story because I included a similar story about Anansi, Monkey and Tiger in my 100-word Anansi story book

The illustrations are by Yannick Robert.


We can never have too many Anansi stories IMO! And The Internet Archive abounds in them. :-)

by James De Sauza


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.