Sunday, March 27, 2022

African Diaspora at Internet Archive: Brian Pinkney

Since I wrote about a book illustrated by Brian Pinkney in yesterday's post, I wanted to follow up with another one of his books today: Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella by Robert  San Souci.


This is from a Creole version of Cinderella, and be sure to look at the Creole glossary in the back along with the author's note about his sources.

The illustrations by Brian Pinkney are beautiful!


I also wanted to share another book that Brian Pinkney illustrated; it's not folklore, but instead poetry by Langston Hughes: The Dream Keeper and Other Poems.


You can find out more about the great poet Langston Hughes at Wikipedia; how I wish he could have lived to see this beautiful book. You might recall that I wrote an earlier post about an anthology of African American folklore that Hughes edited: The Book of Negro Folklore.

Here's Pinkney's illustration for a poem about Jim Crow and merry-go-rounds: there ain't no back / to a merry-go-round.


I think it's wonderful to see how Brian Pinkney developed his own very distinctive style, just as his father, Jerry Pinkney, developed his own style over the years (more from Jerry Pinkney).


by Robert  San Souci



by Langston Hughes





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.