Saturday, January 29, 2022

African Folktales at Internet Archive: Week 37

Yesterday I posted the last (for now) African folktale spreadsheet update, and today is the last (for now) weekly round-up of African folktale books....... because I'm going to start the African American and Caribbean folktale project tomorrow! It's not quite Black History Month yet (that starts on Tuesday, February 1), but this weekly structure helps me stay on track, and I'm also just super-excited about sharing all these beautiful African American and Caribbean folktale books. My own interest in African folktales started because I wanted to know about the origins of Brer Rabbit stories in the U.S. and Anansi stories in the Caribbean, and I have a HUGE LIST of African American and Caribbean folktale books at the Internet Archive that I want to share with everybody here!

When I started this project back in May, I focused on these daily blog posts to describe the books, the slideshow as a way to collect them all in one place along with the blog index page, and then Twitter being a way to share the books and connect with fellow readers. 


Then, along the way, I started writing the bibliography guide (you can see how that's going here: A Reader's Guide to African Folktales at the Internet Archive) and I also started by the story-by-story spreadsheet. In addition, I realized I could use the Wayback Machine as part of the project too, including important online resources (like Elizabeth Laird's incredible Ethiopian Folktale project) side by side with the books. As things finish up, I've blogged about 316 books here, and there are 545 books and articles included in the story-by-story spreadsheet which links to over 10,000 individual stories at the Internet Archive. I had no idea when I began that the project would grow so large, all thanks to the amazing resources that I found. It's been a complete joy to find all these materials and share them with others!

And now, based on what I learned from the African folktale project, I hope to do an even better job with the Caribbean and African American project right from the very beginning. Of course, I'll also be keeping an eye out for new African folktale books that show up at the Internet Archive too, which means I'll have the occasional African blog post too.

So, here's this week's round-up as usual, and you can see the round-ups for the previous months: May - June - July - August - September - October - November - December, plus January.

And I'll see you back here tomorrow for the new book-adventure that is about to begin! :-)





by Minnie Postma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.